Fabric board, item's overview, illustrations and technical drawings.
Third term's main project was about stretch and jersey fabrics. The research was based on pictures found in the V&A study room (http://www.vam.ac.uk/resources/print_study_reading/). We had to choose three images and work from them, using collage or drawing techniques. The task was not only to design the looks and a line-up of 12 illustrations, but also to create a collections of at least 30 matching items in stretch or jersey fabrics. I used a transparent heat foil print to depict the graphic design with the lines and blocks on the fabric. As we were sponsored by Marioboselli for this project, I was lucky to use some classic jerseys in great quality. My main idea was to combine fragments of garments and "fuse" them by using sportswear vocabulary, such as elastic gathering, ribbing and an easy way of pulling on and off the clothes.
I know it's been a long time since the last post, but dissertation keeps me quite busy for the moment. Meanwhile here the link to the official UPS à la mode website, with illustrations from a collaborative project with Robert Huth, fashion menswear RCA. I hope I'll manage to upload the film we made, it seems to be quite heavy...
The concept has the name "UPS_exchange". We designed more than 20 products, that can be exchanged and adjusted from women to men and vice versa. Some of the products can change the function, e.g. the sweater with included inflatable neck cushion.
Robert and I are very happy to be selected as the winners in this competition, hurray!
More from this and the stretch project will follow within the next weeks..
My inspiration for the tailoring project were fragments of classic tailoring (vest parts, lapel details that appear at different places, loads of jetted pockets..)that I composed as a multilayered construction. I mixed this pattern cutting theme with ethnical influences from traditional arabic and north african details in silhouette, fringes, drapes and layering. For this projects fabrics were provided by the college, so the challenge was to create an outfit with a preset fabric and colour range. Photos aren't available yet, I think I'll do one shoot at the end of the first year with all outfits done by this time. Anyone interested in a collab? ;-)
Term is over and here follow some clippings of Umbro and the tailoring project.
The inspiration for Umbro was the floor marks of gymnasiums and training clothes from dance and gymnastics. I used the graphics to create asymmetry and transitions between the garments and layers.
Sample- and Sketch clippings from a sponsored project with a lace and a crystal manufacturer (Guess who..). Taking in consideration that lace or crystals are not my N°1 favourite materials, the project was really interesting and new. It gave me the oppurtunity to work in a very narrative and overdrawn direction. The inspiration for this project were digital grids, pixels and squares.
A choice from the colourproject we did over christmasholidays. Task was to deal freely and intuitively with colour, to mix them and find a palette of colours, that represent one's personal taste and favourites in a way. The project was the continuation of a drawing workshop with Julie Verhoeven, at the end of the first term.
I started with this term's personal project. It's a tailoring project and in the beginning we do a workshop on tailoring with Thomas von Nordheim. Starting from this classic way to do a woman's blazer, the task will be to find a new point of view on tailoring and re-interprete blazer and coats in this collection.
Back in London!
After having worked on the digital version of work in progress during the past weeks, today started with the "real" Work in Progress Exhibition set up. The exhibition will be open to the public from thursday the 15th until thursday the 22th of January 2009, in the Henry Moore Gallery, Royal College of Art, Kensington Gore.
I display the jacket from 1st term's personal project No Gender No Genre, as well as Sketches from the current Swarovski Project, Research Pictures from No Gender No Genre, Sketchbook Snapshots and Renderings of the Glasses Project. I mixed these photos with small canvas frames, which are still empty. The concept is to develop the installation futher during the time the work is displayed, as now new projects are starting. Photos of the change and added new work will be published in this blog.
Picts from the Private View on Wednesday also will follow later.